We have done some research into what ‘organic’ means and here is what we found:
• Organic farming doesn’t use synthetic fertilizers and pesticides that damage the environment.
• Organic farming is also a more sustainable way of growing food for the planet.
• Organic foods are GMO free.
• Organic Farming reduces air, soil and water pollution as it is not using harmful chemicals.
• Organic food has a better nutritional value than non-organic food.
• ‘Organic’ and ‘natural’ are not the same thing – In order to be able to label something as ‘organic’ there are strict rules that must be adhered to.
Researchers at Newcastle University have found that “…organic crops are up to 60% higher in a number of key antioxidants than conventionally-grown ones”. The team analysed 343 studies looking at organic and conventional crops and found that not only were the organic crops providing more antioxidants; they was also lower in toxic metals and pesticides. Read more…
All of the above reasons led us to ensuring that Sáile is 100% organic. Living organically has never been easier. There are so many great organic vegetable companies that can deliver fabulous fruit and vegetable boxes to your door. We use Green Earth Organics (www.greenearthorganics.ie ), but have also used Abel and Cole while living in London (www.abelandcole.co.uk). Organic food is available in every supermarket and even some of the discount suprmarkets have a good range of organic foods. Although organic food is generally a bit more expensive, just think about the benefits for you, your family, the environment and future generations. A medical fee can also seem expensive, so let’s try to eat well and live well and organically to stay healthy! Why not ‘Go Organic’ – try it for a week…your food will taste better and you will feel better in the long run.